Introduction and Welcome
We are a branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), an international organization dedicated to researching and recreating pre-17th Century European history. We are located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
The Barony of Borealis is part of the Kingdom of Avacal, which is part of the world-wide SCA organization.
A Word from our Baron and Baroness
Unto the great people of Borealis we send warmest greetings.
We would like to welcome you to our Barony. We have many events and activities you are most certainly welcome to participate in, try out, and test you skills.
Heavy fighters, rapier, archery, arts and sciences, and bardic are just some of the activities you can experience within the SCA. We have specialty research groups, crafting, embroidery, costume makers, leather workers, all with a distinctively medieval flavour. Just like the good old days, many years of experience that are just willing to be shared.
If you would like to roll back a few centuries and join us, or just want to meet our players, then we suggest coming to one of our monthly tavern meetings. We even have medieval clothing in our Gold Key clothing collection for you to borrow so you can fit right in.
We look forward to meeting you, whether to do battle on the fields with our enemies or simply to enjoy the warm winds of time.
Baronial Polling – New Heirs!
As announced by Their Majesties at the April 5 Barony of Borealis business meeting, successors have been chosen for Reme and Divera! Learn More…
Office of the Seneschal Term Ending
Schönen Tag Borealis,
My 2 years of service as Senechal of Borealis is coming to an end in June. Thank you all for all your support and hard work over my term but it’s time to pass the torch.
The office of Seneschal is a matter of organization and communication. As the modern legal head of the SCA in Edmonton you are required to tread the line between reality and the dream. This means things like signing site contracts, cheques, sitting on the financial committee and running monthly meetings. A list of duties is below.
If you are interested in learning the ropes of the Office of Seneschal or would like to apply for the office, please send an letter of application and SCA resume to myself and Their Excellencies:
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
With the baronial change over happening the same month as the end of my term, I will work out a transition period with the incoming seneschal to support both the new officer, baronial heads and Barony as a whole.
- Create an agenda for monthly branch meetings
- Chair monthly branch meetings at Tavern
- Sit on the financial committee for the Barony
- Assist other officers as necessary to fulfill their roles
- Quarterly reports to the Kingdom Seneschal
- Quarterly Reports for any vacant offices to their Kingdom counterpart
- Submit date reservations for baronial events at Curia
- Guide event teams and assist autocrats on organization and meeting deadlines for events
- Overseeing, organizing and running baronial pollings commitment
- Approximately 1-2 hours per week for communications and paperwork
- Monthly financial and tavern meetings
- 2 year term, can be renewed for a second 2 year term